Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Coffee In Honduras

If you are a snob like me, you know that coffee is one of, if not the most important sustenance available to humans.

I am also a purist when it comes to coffee.  If I'm drinking espresso, that's what I'm drinking, and the same goes for drip or french press or socks... I believe that if you are going to order a "coffee" and buy something that's mostly milk, you probably don't like coffee.


This is how most people make coffee in Honduras: socks.

My main consumption of coffee in the United States is at home from a drip coffee machine, using filtered tap water.  Sometimes I use really expensive, local, fabulous coffee, and sometimes I use Foldgers, depending on the money available to me at the time.  That, or I dirnk from my parents' amazing coffee machine that grinds whole bean coffee for every cup.  It's amazing.  Then, in the afternoon/noon time I would get a venti iced coffee from Starbucks.  This was the hardest part, coffee-wise, of coming here: no iced coffee.  In fact, no drip coffee, either, unless you buy a machine or know someone who has one.  Luckily for me, my neighbor has a drip machine and I bought a huge hot-liquid container, so my life in the past week has gotten back on track.

Coffee in Honduras is not what you would expect.  Well, I guess it's only if you expect that coffee isn't exported for the rich and not really drank by the communities that make it.

The majority of the coffee I've had here is the shittiest coffee I've ever had: at my job.  Given, they probably don't put too much money into buying quality coffee (especially considering they won't even copy all the tests you need for your classes in order to save money), but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who loves gas station coffee.  So there's that.


Texaco: also one of the best places to get coffee.  
Gas station double Americano.

The best coffee I've had, by far, is when we went to Lago del Yagao, where there are coffee plantations right there, and so the coffee is really fresh.  Fresh to death.

Apparently, this is because the majority of the really good coffee plantations are more in the north and the west, and I'm in Olancho.  In the west, it's Copan, and since this is the final place in Honduras I truly want to see, maybe I'll be able to experience the fabulous slightly sweet and low acid Honduran coffee the region has to offer.

But there's also a little stand on the street on my way to school where I stop to get my breakfast of two baleadas.  Next to the lady with the baleadas, there's a lady with coffee, which is really good.  Unfortunately, I had to stop going there because she refused to give me coffee without sugar in it.  I tried for a week and every time there was a nice, thick layer of sugar at the bottom of the cup.  I'm starting to think that drinking black coffee is really strange to them, or maybe just to see a gringa do it is strange.  Either way, it has been a confusion many times.

I'm really looking forward to visiting a coffee plantation some time soon.  Hopefully.  And buying and drinking really fresh and delicious coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment